Friday, February 10, 2012

I no longer record my television shows on the computer

  I still watch them on the computer I just no longer record them there.  Instead of scheduling and recording all of my shows with my tuners I download the shows as bit torrents from the web.  The shows tend to be available the day after they aired, they are high quality and the commercials have been cut out of them.
   Another advantage of downloading verses recording the shows is that the download file tends to be about a quarter the size of the recorded show.  I freed up nearly a terabyte of space on my Windows Home Server by downloading all of the back episodes and deleting my recordings for my series.
  To find bit torrents of your favorite shows you can use torrent search engines or you can use Google.   There is a great guide to setting up your Windows Media Center environment and downloading your shows called Eliminate Cable available from AssassinHTPC.  There were a couple of ideas listed in this guide that I've started using.

No comments:

Post a Comment